GSPORT ELITE SIMIAN FRONT WHEEL
If you take our Birdcage rim and lace it to our new Simian front hub, you’ll end up with the BEST front wheel you can get.
Simian Front Hub
A high quality, sealed front hub with in-bound axle bolts that is guard compatible. The hub’s steel collar shape simplifies removal for bearing and axle maintenance. An oversized axle and bearing configuration is used for unmatched durability.
- Spoke Configuration: 36 hole
- Hub Shell Material: 7075-T6 aluminum
- Hub Shell Bearings: 6804RS sealed cartridge ball bearing
- Axle: 3/8″ 4130 chromoly axle bolts with 20mm, 7075-T6 aluminum female axle with steel helicoiled threads
- Guard Option: Simian specific, 7076-T6 aluminum. Additional designs available soon.
- Effective Flange Diameter: 45.1mm
- Flange to Center Distance: 31.6mm
- Weight: 266g / 10.5oz
At first glance the Birdcage looks like a fairly conventional “aero” style rim, but there is more to it than that. The first clue comes from the name; birds have hollow bones to save weight whilst retaining as much strength as possible, and the Birdcage rim has a hollow bead for the same reason. The rim’s hollow bead is still big and chunky to help reduce the chances of pinch puncturing or flat spotting the rim, but by creating a tiny hollow cavity inside it we can also keep the weight right down.
The next innovation was to adapt our cross-lacing design to the narrow inner wall of the rim. We managed to squeeze a few extra millimeters of spoke offset out of the design to help increase lateral wheel strength, and by carefully tailoring the rim’s cross-section we managed to match all the angles to the nipple so that the walls of the rim section act like the ribs inside the Ribcage rim, which helps to support the spoke nipples as much as possible.
- Drillings: 36 hole
- Weight: 408g / 14.4oz
- Width: 34mm
- ERD: 383mm